Subject LineIf it sounds annoying or spammy, no one would even get to the point of reading your message. They just won’t open it. - Make the subject clear. Let the people understand what they are to find in your email; - However, some intrigue is good as well. Your respondents will understand the topic but wonder what’s in it for them. Still, clarity is in the first place, only then you can think of some “catchy” tricks; - People appreciate when you are personal. It’s not about using a person’s first name (quite an old trick, you won’t surprise anyone by that). It means that you understand that all people in your database have different needs. For instance, you offer grooming services for pets. Some of your clients have a long-haired cat, others – a pretty small dog. Conditions are different, aren’t they? Write your customers the emails that would meet their needs. A person will like the feeling you remember his/her requirements and circumstances. - If you promise something in a subject line, deliver it in your email.
Email TextSo a person has got interested in your subject and opened your email. Now, you aim to make a person do what you need her/him to do: buy lingerie, rent a house, hire a babysitter, subscribe to the newsletter, call you back, etc. Of course, there are particular rules for every type of email. However, some things are general, no matter of the topic.
- You are not writing a novel. Your emails must be easy to read and understand. Short paragraphs, bullet points, spacing make your text more comprehensive and pleasant for the reader’s eye.
- Brevity is the soul of wit. Keep your emails as short as possible, value people’s time. Stick to the point and don’t make a person scroll through your letter.
- Add some pictures, if your topic and text style allows it. But don’t overdose: they are needed only to make your email look more attractive, and not to create a mess.
- Pay attention to communicational standards. You should understand when you can be more informal and friendly, and when the official is the only option permitted. Still, be respectful in both cases. Jokes and personal references won’t look good in the email since a person cannot see your expression or hear the intonation.
- Try to add your personality to your letters. Create some nice greetings, don’t use automated formulas. Try to imagine you have a face-to-face conversation with a person. What is your style of talking? Maybe, some words, specifically built sentences? Don’t be boring, add some zest to your email Lexis. (This only works for informal writing, business correspondence has some strict rules).
SignatureNo matter who you are and whom you are writing, always sign your letters. It’s just a matter of respect. Now, let’s talk about proper email signature. If you promote your services or sell something, if you are a business owner or a C-level person, if you are an employee in a customer service department or marketing team, then a well-organized email signature is essential for your business correspondence. The main question your signature should answer is who you are and how to contact you fast and easy. That’s it. Everything else is optional, and may either help you to reach your readers or, on the contrary, make them turn their backs on you.
- It is evident you have to add your name, title, contact info. Don’t include your email address.
- Make your phone clickable, so that a person could reach you immediately through the mobile device.
- You can add a link to your website or business profiles in social media. Don’t use your personal FB (etc.) accounts for business purposes, it’s a bad form.
- It is a good idea to add your photo to the email signature. But pick it up properly: your family photo from the zoo or the one from your bachelor party won’t do.
- Don’t play with colors; rainbow text would be hard to comprehend. Two colors would be enough to emphasize the important information.
Ostap is a marketing professional (PMM) with 5+ years of experience in the software industry (B2B and B2C). Having worked with email marketing products and services, Ostap has a deep understanding of various email marketing strategies and solutions.